Thursday, July 7, 2016

The days are long, but the years are short...




I know how tough it is to put all of your blood, sweat and tears into raising this tiny human and you don't get much in return.  The stockpiles of laundry you try to keep up with, the sleepless nights, multitude of feedings, the plethora of diaper changes, not to mention bath time, wellness visits and you can't leave out the nights spent worrying about this sweet child and praying you are doing the best you can for your precious angel.  You think to yourself if only I could get a full nights sleep, if only I could take a hot shower uninterrupted and you long for your brain cells to return so that you can finally complete one thought before you are on to the next feeding...

There is a rainbow at the end of all of this.  Your efforts and extra snuggles are being stored away in their tiny hearts like a treasure chest, so that one day when they are old enough to recognize all that you have done for them, you will see they did appreciate all that you gave to them.  They truly felt it all along and the weight on your shoulders will ever so gently begin to lift and not feel so unbearable anymore. Their independence will begin to blossom right before your very eyes.  

My proof to you...

It was 1:00 in the afternoon, just before nap time when I was in my room grabbing my book to head down for my ritual of hot green tea and quiet time while the girls rested. When I turned around at my nightstand Sophie stood there hands behind her back grinning from ear to ear. At first I sighed impatient, because well the day had felt like a week and I just needed a little time for myself.

"Mama, pick a hand!"

"Hmm...your left hand." I said with as much enthusiasm as I could muster. 

There was shuffling behind her back, as she cleverly switched her surprise to the right hand, showing me her empty left hand.

"Nope, pick again!" She said, her eyes so bright and filled with joy.

Me: "Ok, ok right hand." 

It was this.  This moment that time stood still for just a second as she proudly handed over to me a first place award made of construction paper that read: She takes care of me.

My heart, oh my heart and tears were overflowing. Validation, sweet validation that our children, they do notice, that yes of course we take care of you. We always have and always will.

Sweet Mama, keep going.  Keep doing all that you are doing, because one day you will see that all of the time spent devoted to Motherhood, were not lost on them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment