Friday, February 5, 2016

How do we know...

I believe there is something greater than ourselves orchestrating the strings of our lives, but how do we know if we are doing our part to accomplish what God wants for our lives?

During my early to mid-20's, I was oblivious to this concept. I lived day to day for what would benefit me, myself and I.  I was a professional dancer and this passion of mine, took hold of my heart and was the center of my world.  I strategically planned everything else in my life around my dancing endeavors.  As a result, I missed important family events, my faith faltered, and along the way relationships slipped through the cracks.

I have grown since then.  I am stronger in faith, I have become a mother of two beautiful girls and I did the unthinkable and moved away from home with my adventurous fly boy.

Although raising our children has given me the most love I have ever known, I still have an aching inside of me, calling me to dig a little deeper.

While my husband Jake was deployed a few years ago at Christmas time, I climbed aboard a train with my 2 month old and my 3 year old. The three of us ventured 18 hours on that steam engine towards home, where we would be surrounded by loved ones during the months he was away.

At the time, we were living in Minot, ND, sometimes referred to as, The Magic City.  Minot had experienced a horrific flood the summer prior, damaging over 4,000 homes.  The flood thankfully did not damage our home, but for one reason or another the affected community weighed heavy on my heart.

One night while at my parents house, my Mom suggested, "Go take a break honey."  She had Gia cradled in her arms and Sophie was already sound asleep.  I took her up on her offer and did what sounded best at the time... I took a shower. Maybe some of you busy Mama's can relate!  That night while I was in the shower I started brainstorming ideas of how I could help.  In that glorious 10 minutes of quiet time, I decided I would put together a 5k on the anniversary of the flood.  I would only have 5 months to whip this up, but somehow the worrier in me didn't worry at all.

Let me be clear, I am not a runner and I have humbly participated in a whopping total of one 5k in my entire life!  I knew nothing about planning this endeavor, but I couldn't shake the idea.  I also decided in those few pertinent minutes, that I would name the charity event, Hope Floats Rebuild The Magic.

It has been awhile since that inner voice was so crystal clear to me, which makes my goal as 2016 begins this week obvious. I am working on one simple task more than ever...listening.

We were all made for a specific purpose.  We may cross paths with someone that only we can provide the comfort and hope that they are desperate for.  Sometimes it may be hard to explain or may otherwise be impossible, but His plan always comes to fruition.  All we need to do is listen.  We are a wonderful work in Him.  Be kind to each other, encourage one another and be the ears to listen to be called to greatness.

"My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this:  Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." James 1:19


No comments:

Post a Comment